Friday, June 26, 2009

Why They Call It Cherry Creek

The beautiful Cherry Creek (and Cherry Creek bike path) run through the heart of Denver. Last year my friend Josi told me about her experience picking cherries from the trees up the street from her house, then baking a pie. I had to laugh at myself for never previously noticing the trees, and apparently believing that the "Cherry" in Cherry Creek was just a figure of speech.

I'm a huge fan of all things cherry, so the thought of fresh (and free) cherries available for the picking was exciting. The act of foraging in the trees is definitely an important part of the experience for me. It's a lot of fun to be face-to-face with the tree that's producing your food, poking around and wrestling with it a bit to get to the best cherries.

Last year I picked from the Cherry Creek trees, and also found a couple of trees to forage from in my neighborhood (with the homeowner's permission, of course), and ended up with some wonderful pies. This week Josi and I went out to pick some of the early cherries, before the birds have a chance to get to them!

Trees overlooking Cherry Creek.


Sunlight in the trees.


Josi doing her picking.



Many of them aren't ripe yet, but we still found a bunch to take home.


Getting ready to pit! This is just my batch of cherries --- Josi picked enough for another big bowl.


Cherries and tea.


Josi's cat Bila was observing, ensuring that everything went well.

No comments: