Sunday, August 2, 2009

Happy Egg Day!

Today I went into the barnyard to let the chickens into their run for lunch. Six of them went in quickly, but I couldn't find Cayenne (our White Leghorn) anywhere. After searching for a while, I finally found her tucked into a corner of the shed, nestled on a pile of straw.

I took a step toward her to herd her into the run, and she started squawking at me. Really loudly, and persistently. I left her alone, just hoping that she wasn't injured. After a minute she hopped off the straw. I ran over, and guess what I found?!?

TWO eggs actually, which means that Cayenne started laying yesterday. We know they're both from her, because she's the only one of our chickens who will lay white eggs.

I scooped her up, and she let me hold her for a while (which is unusual).


We're so proud!




I would be tired, too!


Here are the eggs in the straw stack. I hadn't put official nests in for the chickens yet, because they're not due to lay for a little while. I guess Cayenne is just advanced for her age!



Our lovely eggs. (and yes, that's chicken poop on the eggshell)


All cleaned up and ready for their closeup.



Just 2 inches across right now, but the eggs will get bigger as the chickens continue to grow.



Delicious fried egg.


The yolks are a beautiful red/orange, from the beta-carotene in all of the weeds the chickens eat.


Our little chicken, just 19 weeks ago...



Way to go, Cayenne!!

2 comments:

Melanie said...

love the fried egg picture :)

Dorian said...
This comment has been removed by the author.